Friday, July 11, 2008

More thankful thoughts

The thing I am most thankful for the past few years can be summed up in one word: relationships. I am thanful for new friends I have made over the last few years, as well as friendships that have been renewed, grown deeper and became more meaningful. I am just gald that thye journey I have taken on these last few years have enabled me to share in peoples lives, and for people who have shared their lives with me.

I think about the people who God has placed in my life, in fact both my wife and I, to help us along in our journey. People who have had years of experience in minsitry who have given us their time, and their attention as we stumbled along. We could not comprehend why these very gifted and busy people would bother to help us. But in this, we truly saw the kingdom. God brought these people in our lives and they played a significant part in our formattion.

I remember my 2 fellow ministers (later became 3) that would meet together once a month. We shared our stories, our thoughts and then shared food. I really look forward to those meetings. I remember the times when they gave me so much space and time to just speak honestly. And they listened and they prayed. This little group helped me survive.

I remember the many friends who just cared for us in so many ways. We would meet over meals or coffee. We would talk, rant, laugh....I am just so thankful for them. And most of them were very very supportive of our decision to step down from leadership. They could see the toll it was taking on us. Even when they maybe could not totally see our need to leave, they supported us. With these people, we felt that they cared for us more than they did for the "institution". With these people we felt safe.

I think of friends who I just met over the last year and a half but who feel as if we have been life long friends. Who even tough are far away physically, still care and pray for us. Who helped us see things in a new perspective, who availed themselves to us so many times when we needed to talk.

For this, I am truly grateful. of course in the midst of this all, there have been relationships that were not so good or turned bad. I am responsible for this as well. But I have done as best as I can to rectify the situation. For now, I will remember the good (not perfect) relationships I experienced and see these people as my community.

No comments: