Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thankful thoughts

Looking back, the first thing that comes to mind of things I am thankful for is the opportunity I had to study theology. Not just the study, but very importantly where I chose to study.

As I was thinking of where to start my theological studies, I met with a fellow pastor. It was our first proper one on one meeting, and he has turned out to be a real source of friendship and support for me over the last few years. It was he, in our first meeting, who suggested that I look into this particular school. Actually, it was more like he highly recommended the place. :)

So I looked into the program they had for part time students, and decided to enrol. I vividly remember when I told the church elders of my decison to study in this mainline seminary, one of the elders looked at me and said "But they are not Charismatic you know. They are not open to the things of the Spirit". And I replied that that was the very reason I chose that school. Not that they were not open ( I discovered that they are pretty open to diverse traditions), but that I was looking to expand my knowledge of the various christian traditions.

And then when I met with the Program director for the school, she looked at me suspiciously and asked "Why did you chose this school and not the other charismatic schools? Most of you independent churches always go there?" I just smiled and said that I wanted a different experience.

Anyway, the classes I had there were all very good. Not just what they taught, but the oportunity to interact with others form all kinds of churches. To learn from them. I had the opportunity to read a lot, expand my horizons in terms of what I have always experienced.

The other thing I enjoyed about the classes was that I got so spend 3 nights staying at the seminary. Thise were great times to be quiet at night, read a lot, reflect....etc. I look back on my journal and see many things that I wrote while in seminary. Quite a few of my preaching ideas came from those times. They were precious times indeed.

I guess the last class I took there was probably my favorite, simply because it was a topic that was very relevant to me at that time, as well as a topic I am very interested in: Pastoral spirituality. I learned a lot from taking that class. The excercises we did, the lecture, the discussions and especially the reading assignments.

So, I am really thankful for the opportunity to do theological studies. I learned a lot, and so much of my change in thinking and perspective came out of that experience.

Thank you Lord.

No comments: